Office Assistants provide clerical and administrative support in medical office settings. They are responsible for greeting patients in person and over the phone, providing information, verifying insurance, scheduling appointments, verifying and updating patient information, collecting co-pays, providing forms for completion, obtaining pre-authorizations, arranging for referrals and testing, obtaining signatures, following established escalation procedures and communicating with office staff and providers. Office Assistants must demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy, professional etiquette and superior customer service skills at all times.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Medical office experience preferred
- Some knowledge of computer scheduling systems, preferably Meditech and Ntierprise.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced confidential medical environment.
- Must be team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, care, push and /or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination.
- Ability to maintain working relationships and interact with patients and employees on a daily basis.
- Reliable transportation and the ability to float to other offices when required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and responsibilities of this position. These responsibilities and competencies listed below may change from time to time.
- Performs front office desk duties to include verify and updates patient information in the computer, collects co pays, provides any necessary forms needing completion, obtains signatures as necessary.
- Maintain and updates current information on physicians schedules ensuring that patients are scheduled properly and appointments are confirmed.
- Oversees and maintains clean, orderly waiting area.
- Answers phone in a pleasant manner, screens calls and takes messages, provides information and handles patients’ needs expeditiously, escalates potentially urgent patient situations per office protocol.
- Maintain tracking logs as requested by management.
- Supplements office staff by assisting with scanning, photocopying, faxing, and computer input/typing.
- Check patient insurance eligibility.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Primary Care staff participates in Patient Centered Medical Home Care Team collaborations.
- Obtain precertifications for tests, procedures, treatments, medications and hospitalizations as needed.
- Schedule and arrange referrals and outside testing for patients as directed by physician
- Responds to requests including from physician offices and patients to have medical records sent to other facilities.
- Maintain confidentiality and adheres to HIPPA requirements.
- May be required to perform other duties as requested by Management.